Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Rock of Our Redeeme

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

The Rock of Our Redeemer, by Elder Wilford W. Andersen
Of the Seventy


I'm on a committee in my church where we get to organize cultural arts activities/events. Yesterday our committee had a Pioneer Celebration! Unfortunately, I was on an airplane the whole time the event took place. Despite this, I've been thinking of pioneers lately—including my own pioneer forebears.

When people think of pioneers, difficulties and trials are also imagined. You'll often hear the question: "Would I have had the courage/strength/determination/fortitude to press on despite difficulty?"


I enjoyed Elder Andersen's account of the wooden signs on Parley Street in Nauvoo that carry excerpts from pioneer-era journals that reflect confidence, commitment, and even joy!

So, then, is devastation and distress a requirement for being a pioneer? It seems that the answer is an oft-overlooked "No!" The pioneers were able to confront hard tasks not because of discouragement, but because of confidence and commitment.

In whom was their confidence placed? To what were they committed? Their confidence lay in the Rock of our Redeemer. They were committed to Christ and sacred covenants.

I'm grateful for the comforting reminder that great things can happen when we face difficulty and trials (and even comfort and easy times) with hope, faith, and confidence in the promises of the Lord.

If I can do this more, I, too, can be a Pioneer. . . even if I don't have to lead a team or pull a handcart.

0 thoughts