Friday, July 16, 2010

Healing the Sick

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

Healing the Sick, by Elder Dallin H. Oaks
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles


While traveling home from a conference yesterday, I listened to two interviews with scientists whose views on God were diametrically opposed to each other; they were Francis Collins and Richard Dawkins. One is a world-renowned scientist who had a firm faith in God, the other is a world-renowned scientist who has no belief in God.

I was reminded of these conflicting views when I reviewed Elder Oaks words: "Latter-day Saints believe in applying the best available scientific knowledge and techniques." To me, he was saying that faith and science are not mutually exclusive, as many in both camps (the religion camp and the science camp) try to claim. It is possible (and, I think necessary) to have an understanding of both science and God.

In speaking on healing the sick, Elder Oaks quoted from Brigham Young, who was replying to the question of trying to apply faith without science/reason:

If we are sick, and ask the Lord to heal us, and to do all for us that is necessary to be done, according to my understanding of the Gospel of salvation, I might as well ask the Lord to cause my wheat and corn to grow, without my plowing the ground and casting in the seed.

I loved Elder Oaks' talk, and not only for this one little bit in the introduction. Nevertheless, it was a nice reminder that science and religion do coincide, and should coincide in our lives.

We do all we can while we seek the Lord's help in all things. Not doing this seems, to me, to be ignoring the many advances that the Lord has already given to us, His children, all while asking for a remedy that He may have already supplied!

Let me be clear: I'm grateful for science, medicine, and remedies. Even more, I'm grateful for the knowledge that these are in harmony with the grand plan of our Father in Heaven, and that the order of priesthood blessings exists to bless lives in multiple ways.

0 thoughts