Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Magnificent Aaronic Priesthood

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

The Magnificent Aaronic Priesthood, by David L. Beck
Young Men General President


My sacrament experience was exceptional today. Perhaps it was because I was out of town at a conference last week and was unable to attend church. Whatever the reason, I'm grateful.

My family sits near the front of the chapel, and we have an almost unobstructed view of those who pass the sacrament. Today, I noticed that my friend was helping the young men. I saw him lovingly teach a young man how to better fulfill his priesthood duty. Then, as the group of young men walked off to their "stations" to pass the sacrament, I saw my friend quietly and reverently bend to pick up a single piece of bread that had fallen off of a tray onto the floor. He did this without drawing attention to himself (I just happened to see it), but as he did it, he showed great respect and demonstrated the magnificence of the priesthood.

Seeing this unfold reminded me of other times when I've seen similar things. I've heard a story (unverified) of a prophet who quietly left the stand during a priesthood meeting, walked to the rear of the chapel, bent to gently pick up a piece of bread, and then quietly returned to his seat officiating at the meeting.

I imagine we've all either heard of stories or seen them ourselves. Interestingly, Brother Beck shared a likewise touching story of a frail man who could not eat anything—even the small piece of sacrament bread—but who lovingly held it to his lips in reverence:

The young man said when he saw this faithful brother express his reverence for the sacrament, he felt as though he were watching him kiss the feet of the Savior. He could tell that he loved Him.

I'm grateful for the sacrament. I love the opportunities that we have to regularly covenant through real, lasting, meaningful covenants that supply protection, power, and promises, as administered through the magnificent Aaronic Priesthood.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In his talk, Brother Beck spoke of a monument he encountered "along the Tagus River in Lisbon, Portugal." I was curious to learn more. I think he spoke of the Padrão dos Descobrimentos (Monument to the Discoveries) (link to Wikipedia entry).

Here are two pictures I liked, and what Brother Beck had to say about the monument:


On a cold morning a few weeks ago, I jogged along the Tagus River in Lisbon, Portugal. I came to a monument dedicated to the Portuguese explorers from centuries past. I stopped as the sun rose and splashed its warm light on the imposing monument and on me. I was inspired as I looked at the determined faces of the explorers gazing out over the water. These were men who were willing to do things that very few had done. They left a familiar and comfortable world and courageously went out into the unknown ocean and discovered new lands. They changed the world.
I see you when I think of that monument of courageous explorers. I see you on a personal journey that few in the world today choose to pursue. I see you fulfilling your duty to God.
I pray that we may all understand the magnificent Aaronic Priesthood and trust, as God does, those who bear it.



0 thoughts