Saturday, July 10, 2010

Handmaids

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

“And upon the Handmaids in Those Days Will I Pour Out My Spirit”, by Julie B. Beck
Relief Society General President


Even though Sister Beck's address seems primarily addressed to the women of the church, I think of her counsel often. I'll let you determine the scenario when I'm reminded of her words; here is the quote:

Mothers [and fathers] can feel help from the Spirit even when tired, noisy children are clamoring for attention, but they can be distanced from the Spirit if they lose their temper with children.

I'll give a hint: I'm trying harder to not lose my temper with my sweet children.

So, that's what I've been reminded of since I first heard her talk. However, a different part stood out to me on the most recent reading.

While working with some full-time missionaries recently, we were discussing family traditions with fireworks. When the subject of the legality of certain types arose, one said, in essence, that the law could just be broken.

"What of exact obedience?" I asked.

"That's just a mission thing," was the I'm-hoping-he-was-joking reply.

I wondered about my obedience level later—to both eternal laws as well as laws of the land. I wanted to recommit to exact obedience and the associated freedoms.

This interchange and introspection came to mind when I reviewed Sister Beck's definition of success:

We are doing well when we develop attributes of Christ and strive to obey His gospel with exactness. We are doing well when we seek to improve ourselves and do our best. . . When we have done our very best, we may still experience disappointments, but we will not be disappointed in ourselves. (emphasis mine)

I want to be more Christ-like, at minimum by being patient (not losing my temper). I also want to live the gospel with exactness.

As I review my actions at each day's end, I want to have fewer and fewer shudders as I recount the times I disappointed myself.

I want to do well and do my very best!

0 thoughts