Monday, March 19, 2012

More Random Beauty

I recently mused on randomness with regard to beauty (link). Today I was considering trying to represent my computer-generated random artwork with paints, by hand, when I decided to play with random beauty again. Using behind-the-scenes computer coding in Excel, I generated a way to introduce colors to the ordered random structure from earlier.

Here's what I came up with when I let both the background squares' and the circles' colors be randomly chosen (color index between 0 and 56):



btw, even the color of the outline box was chosen randomly.

This is more variation than before, with so many colors and combinations—it's kind of dizzying.

But I wanted more!

Here's when I let the size of the circles vary randomly (of five size steps):


Still not satisfied, I wanted to see other shapes with the circles, namely squares and diamonds (of uniform size):


You may have anticipated what happened next, I added varying sizes, too:


I still think I prefer the black on white designs, but at least I satisfied my curiosity on an expansion of random beauty.


And I have an idea of what it might look like if a rainbow exploded.

0 thoughts