Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Priesthood Responsibilities

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

Priesthood Responsibilities, by Elder Claudio R. M. Costa
Of the Presidency of the Seventy


Despite reading many Garfield comics as a young man, I love Mondays! The reason, of course, is Family Home Evening.

Now that our children are much more involved in Family Home Evening, we have loads more fun! For example, each Monday, David and Rebecca each have to give talks. They stand at their makeshift podium and teach us either about a topic that we assign them, or whatever gospel principle they choose. (Rebecca loves to teach about temples, see below; David was using a belt to illustrate Nephite garb.)


I was reminded of the great times we have in Family Home Evenings when Elder Costa taught:

Family home evening is a very special time for us to strengthen ourselves and each family member. It is important to include the whole family in assignments for family home evening. A child could share the Primary lesson that he or she had last Sunday.

I'm starting to think that it's time for us to rely more on the Family Home Evening assignment board that's hung on our wall for years, waiting for its time to shine! I also loved the idea of giving the children an opportunity to recall and present their lesson material from the previous day in Family Home Evening. We already do that each Sunday dinner, but perhaps more nuggets will emerge if we give them more opportunities to share.

When we have great Family Home Evenings, we often hear the children excitedly exclaim, "I wish we could have Family Home Evening every night!" These are some of the times that I feel that I'm really fulfilling my family priesthood responsibilities.

0 thoughts