Thursday, September 10, 2009

Get On with Our Lives

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

Get On with Our Lives, by Elder Steven E. Snow
Of the Presidency of the Seventy


My mother is the kind of person who always seemed to do well with change, either anticipated or not. For example, she frequently rearranging the furniture in the rooms of her home. In fact, she goes as far as to work with my father in making kitchen changes and improvements to counters and cabinets in a seemingly endless quest for the perfect configuration. Or, perhaps, the change provides another view on an otherwise "same old" view.

I, on the other hand, have kept each piece of furniture in the same place for as long as I've lived in my current home. I think I'm either uncomfortable with change, or content with how things are (or both).

However, despite my furniture-arrangement stagnation, I hope that I'm not unwilling to progress with necessary change and, effectually, get on with my life.

Elder Snow asked:

Q: How can we then best prepare for the changes we must inevitably face as we progress through life?

His answer, like many great conference talks, includes a list, summarized as follows:

A: By listening to the prophets, keeping an eternal perspective, having faith, and being of good cheer.

We know that historical accounts are rife with examples of faithful individuals who dealt well with change—both changes that were anticipated as well as those that were unexpected. The question that I ask myself is: Will I be one who reacts well and positively to c

Questions: How do I react to change? Is anything preventing me from progressing through necessary change? Will I choose to follow the prophet, keep an eternal perspective, exercise faith, and be happy when confronted with change?

I hope to be like my mother who, in addition to changing her furniture configuration, has reacted well to numerous cross-country changes as my family moved here and there. I don't remember her complaining; I only remember her making our house a home and doing her best to make a happy family in the midst of change.

0 thoughts