Monday, September 7, 2009

Be Your Best Self

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

Be Your Best Self, by President Thomas S. Monson



I'm going to go against my pattern and simply share a few of my favorite quotes from this address. As you probably guessed, each point that President Monson made caused a wake of memories in my mind and highlighted in my heart many ways I need to improve.

Besides thinking of D&C 107:99, what else comes to mind?

Each man and each boy who holds the priesthood of God must be worthy of that great privilege and responsibility. Each must strive to learn his duty and then to do it to the best of his ability.


Which version of myself am I most of the time?

This is not a time for fear, brethren, but rather a time for faith—a time for each of us who holds the priesthood to be his best self.


What would be my grade in a personal course on scripture study?

Participate in daily scripture study. Crash courses are not nearly so effective as the day-to-day reading and application of the scriptures in our lives. ... Study [the words of the prophets] as though they were speaking to you.


I love the promises of prophets:

I promise you ... that if you will study the scriptures diligently, your power to avoid temptation and to receive direction of the Holy Ghost in all you do will be increased.


Prayer metaphor:

Prayer is the provider of spiritual strength; it is the passport to peace.


Am I living that this can be said of me?

When it was necessary for them to exercise their priesthood in behalf of one who was desperately in need of their help, they were able to respond because they lived their lives righteously.


What's the shape of my back? (Compare Mosiah 24:14-15)

The Lord shapes the back to bear the burden placed upon it.


0 thoughts