Monday, January 12, 2009

You Know Enough

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

You Know Enough, by Elder Neil L. Andersen
Of the Presidency of the Seventy


The second paragraph of Elder Andersen's address cut me right to the heart:

While there are many experiences ... full of spiritual power and confirmation, there are also days when we feel inadequate and unprepared, when doubt and confusion enter our spirits, when we have difficulty finding our spiritual footing. Part of our victory as disciples of Christ is what we do when these feelings come.

While the internal question of "What do I do when I feel inadequate and confused?" makes me wonder if I'm good enough, the concluding sentence presupposes success with the enforced word "victory." In addition, I always feel a little tingle when I consider myself as a disciple of Christ. In a lesson for the young men, whom I used to teach, I was reminded "that a disciple of Christ is one who not only believes or follows but also acts and lives his life in harmony with the Savior’s example" (link). Therefore, our victory in trials of doubt or confusion lies in our ability to not only believe in Christ, but in the we way strive to live like Christ.

If I can consistently do this, then I know enough; "enough to keep the commandments and do what is right," Elder Andersen adds.

Staying on the disciples theme, and returning to the choice to be happy (or angry) (see commentary on Elder Perry's talk, here), Elder Andersen teaches:

Faith is not only a feeling; it is a decision. ... As disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, we have enormous spiritual reservoirs of light and truth available to us. Fear and faith cannot coexist in our hearts at the same time. In our days of difficulty, we choose the road of faith.

Faith is a decision (like choosing to be happy), and I know that I need practice making the choice to have/show faith. I want to choose the road of faith in my life. As I do, I will have less fear, more faith, and ultimately find victory as a disciple of Christ.

0 thoughts