Thursday, January 15, 2009

Come What May, and Love It

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

Come What May, and Love It, by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles


Today was one of those wonderful days that you wish could be the normal for all other days. We celebrated our five-year-old's birthday, and loved every minute of the day. As I think about the reason why today was so great, I acknowledge that part of today's success is because of this address by Elder Wirthlin.

Every life has peaks and shadows and times when it seems that the birds don’t sing and bells don’t ring. Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result.

Why was today so great? Because I've tried to implement Elder Wirthlin's teachings ever since I had a dark, dark day, not too long ago.

While on vacation in Houston recently, we had a glorious morning of visiting the temple and then touring the Downtown Aquarium. However, good feelings were soon replaced by their antitheses.

While trying to follow the street signs pointing us towards the desired interstate, we became lost. For some reason, I chose to get upset and angry. I dealt coldly with my sweet wife, who was acting as navigator and trying to console our now scared children simultaneously, and I wasn't driving very friendly anymore. As bad as these symptoms are, perhaps the worst part is that I had the distinct crystal-clear memory of this very talk and the counsel to "learn to laugh," especially the examples Elder Wirthlin gave of laughing while lost in the car, but I chose anger over enlightenment.

In the days since that experience, I've really tried to put to practice the counsel found in this talk (and other things, too). I've seen a difference in my life, with today standing as a shining example.

Thank you, Elder Wirthlin, for your meaningful advice. I agree that "the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life." I hope to choose to be happy—to learn to laugh—and have fun stories of laughter and love to share in the future.

0 thoughts