Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Our Perfect Example

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

Our Perfect Example, by President Henry B. Eyring
First Counselor in the First Presidency


Today was a perfect day for this talk, following President Monson's talk yesterday. Here's why:

I felt like I had forgotten that I have a choice in becoming angry, and President Monson's talk reminded me that I don't have to get angry (or, rather, choose to be angry), I can show love instead. I approached today, really wanting to not fail.

I did all right.

As I tried to be Christ-like, I realized my goal.

Will I be able to continue showing love instead of choosing to be angry? I hope so. Nevertheless, I understand that reality may just be a process of becoming. President Eyring taught:

We believe that through living the gospel of Jesus Christ we can become like the Savior, who is perfect. . . . None of us is perfect yet. But we can have frequent assurance that we are following along the way. He leads us, and He beckons for us to follow Him.

What was it about today that was so great? In one word: Love.

If I want to maintain that love, I'll do well to follow President Eyring's admonition:

Love is the motivating principle by which the Lord leads us along the way towards becoming like Him, our perfect example. Our way of life, hour by hour, must be filled with the love of God and love for others . . . go out today looking for opportunities to do as He did and to love as He loves.

I'm grateful for the successes that I find as I forget myself (and my way of messing things up) and follow Christ, our perfect example.

0 thoughts