Friday, March 5, 2010

Let Virtue Garnish Your Thoughts

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

Let Virtue Garnish Your Thoughts, by Bishop H. David Burton
Presiding Bishop


"We believe in being honest, true, chased by elephants..."

This is how I used to think the thirteenth Article of Faith started (it's really, "We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent." - link). Bishop Burton reported that he, too, had difficulty with this one. He continued to describe virtues that end in "ity," calling them the "ity" virtues. Examples include: "integrity, humility, charity, spirituality, accountability, civility, fidelity, and the list goes on and on."

I stumbled upon a short film that used a certain effect called tilt/shift (or the Scheimpflug principle for you fellow nerds out there) that makes reality appear miniature. My brother-in-law has used this effect in his photographic explorations (link), so I shared it with him.

Watching this film produced some interesting thoughts. First the film:



This effect gives an interesting perspective on humanity and reminds me of Linus' quote (from Charlie Brown): "I love humanity; it's people I can't stand!"


People look so cute and even adorable when seen from this view—if only I could like [and love] all people when they're close-up!

Basically, what I experienced in my inner reaction to this film was a desire for me to have more "ity" virtues.

In testifying of their importance, Bishop Burton reminded both what the "ity" virtues are, and how we can develop them:

Heavenly Father expects His children to exercise integrity, civility, fidelity, charity, generosity, morality, and all the “ity” virtues. May we have the humility to take the opportunity to act upon our responsibility to demonstrate our ability to do so.

I agree wholeheartedly that the development and cultivation of the "ity" virtues can and will bring needed changes to individuals and society.

I hope I can lose my security blanket of separation (from people, similar to Linus) and "let virtue garnish [my] thoughts unceasingly" (see D&C 121:45).

0 thoughts