Friday, February 12, 2010

More Diligent and Concerned at Home

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

More Diligent and Concerned at Home, by Elder David A. Bednar
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles


"You're the best daddy in the whole wide world!"

This is my goal: to hear this regularly. I met this goal just a couple of hours ago. We were driving home from a day of fun at the zoo and temple, and my little daughter turned to me, out of the blue, and said, "You're the best daddy in the whole wide world!"

This is a sentiment that I hear almost every night when we tuck the little ones in bed (my wife hears it for her, too). Hearing this makes me think that I'm doing at least all right. I was reminded of this when I read the following from Elder Bednar:

We should remember that saying “I love you” is only a beginning. We need to say it, we need to mean it, and most importantly we need consistently to show it. We need to both express and demonstrate love.

I don't mean to "toot my own horn," or give the impression of conceit, I'm just thrilled that after a thorough analysis of how fathers need to be better at home in showing love, bearing testimony, and being consistent, that I can find regular evidences that I'm doing at least two of those things!

After all, posts wouldn't be as much fun to read if I listed the many more ways that I fail to live up to who I should be (Even after the hardest days, the children will still tell me they love me; usually with words such as, "even though you were a mean daddy today, I still love you!"). I'm just hoping that my efforts to be loving can contribute to the consistency promise issued:

No one event may appear to be very impressive or memorable. But ... our consistency in doing seemingly small things can lead to significant spiritual results.

So, how do I answer the cute, oft-repeated compliment? Well, after I give big hugs and kisses, I say, "You're my favorite Rebecca (or David) in the whole wide world!"

0 thoughts