Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Vision of Prophets regarding Relief Society

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

The Vision of Prophets regarding Relief Society: Faith, Family, Relief, by Julie B. Beck
Recently Released Relief Society General President



A few years ago I was touched by a talk that Sister Beck gave, "Mothers Who Know" (link). As she spoke of LDS women showing their faith by the countless things they do to bless others, their families, and the world, in my mind's eye, all I saw was my wife and the amazing things she does, and the amazing person that she is! In an attempt at convincing her that I do, in fact, realize all she does and who she is, I made a video using Sister Beck's talk. Since then, every time I hear Sister Beck speak, I'm reminded of the great things she said about my wife (and other good women, too).

My wife is a member of Relief Society despite spending most of her time in church callings that keep her from its weekly church meetings (e.g. serving in the primary with children). However, she has participated in non-Sunday Relief Society meetings; in fact, we've made a handful of videos together for these meetings. Since I have little-to-no-experience with Relief Society first-hand, I'll simply share something that Sister Beck said about it that reminded me of my wife and her involvement in it. (And I almost wrote "her involvement in the Relief Society program, which is embarrassing to almost write when you read the following quote.)


Relief Society is not a program. It is an official part of the Lord’s Church that is "divinely ordained of God" to teach, strengthen, and inspire sisters in their purpose regarding faith, family, and relief. Relief Society is a way of life for Latter-day Saint women, and its influence extends far beyond a Sunday class or a social gathering. It follows the pattern of female disciples who served with the Lord Jesus Christ and His Apostles in His ancient Church.


I'm grateful for my amazing (and beautiful) wife and for the countless things she does to bless my life, the lives of my children, and others unseen. I'm grateful that she is involved in an organization (not program) that supports her desire to be the best she can be!

---------------------------------------------


In case you're curious, here's the Mother's Who Know video I mentioned earlier:



0 thoughts