Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Eternal Blessings of Marriage

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

The Eternal Blessings of Marriage, by Richard G. Scott
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles


A few weeks ago, I started to find cute little notes around the house. They would be hidden places where I would find them when I went to do something (e.g. in the toolbox, in a kitchen drawer, near the garden tools, etc.). Each had a short expression of love from my wife, and many were cut into cute shapes that matched the message. I have the feeling that although I've found many, there are still others out there waiting for me.


I don't know for certain, but I suspect that my wife read Elder Scott's talk just before she made all those great notes. (NOTE: She is an amazing and loving wife, and was so even before reading this talk.) The reason for my suspicion is because I now want to go even farther out of my way to show her that I love her!

This was a fun talk to review, but it was also a fun talk to listen to. It was at the start of the Sunday afternoon session of conference. Surprisingly, my children were happy and eager for more conference after two days of watching as a family. As Elder Scott relayed a story of heeding his wife's counsel to put off a household repair and play with the children. He said:

The next morning about 4:00 a.m., I was awakened as I felt two little arms around my neck, a kiss on the cheek, and these words whispered in my ear, which I will never forget: “Dad, I love you. You are my best friend.”

When he heard this, my seven-yr-old son turned to me with love in his eyes and said, "Daddy, I love you; you're my best friend!"

What a sweetheart.

I wasn't the only one who received love from him during the talk. Later, when Elder Scott talked about various love notes, my son secretly made a love note for my wife, his mother, which he lovingly presented to her later.

Reflecting on this, I wonder why he is such a sweet boy. I wonder why all of our children are such sweet little ones.

Elder Scott asked, "Do you tell your wife often how very much you love her?" I can honestly say that I try to. Perhaps the love that is often overflowing the walls of our home is influencing our learning young children. Manifestations of love include loving service, gentle touches, whispers of "I love you," plentiful hugs, a fair share of kisses, and frequent calls home when one is away.


I'm reminded that my children have taken to play Simon Says lately. Whenever it's my three-yr-old son's turn, his instructions are almost always about giving someone—or something—a kiss!

I love my family. I'm so happy that my current job has somewhat flexible hours so I can continue my tradition of working early and returning home early enough to help around the house and play as a family.

----------------------------------------------------

If you want even more of Elder Scott's message, here is a cute little video that may cause you to hug and/or kiss someone in the near future:


0 thoughts