Sunday, July 10, 2011

Become as a Little Child

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

Become as a Little Child, by Jean A. Stevens
First Counselor in the Primary General Presidency


Our Heavenly Father knows children are a key to helping us become like Him. There is so much we can learn from children.

I recently wrote about an experience where my five-year-old daughter helped me understand the Atonement through new eyes (link here). Her simple question about why we sometimes suffer after Christ suffered for all still touches my heart. (In fact, the ward I was at today had the same lesson that reminded me of her question last week.)

In her talk, Sister Stevens shared examples of children doing things that were likely natural to them that we can use to teach us how to as we ought to be. She spoke of:
  • a little boy behaving reverently in an art gallery with images of the Savior;
  • a young boy rushing to assist an elderly woman to her preferred seat;
  • a girl who left a loving note on her parents' pillow expressing her desire to be sealed as a family (they later were!); and
  • an ill boy who was optimistic during numerous treatments.

Seeing that I was preparing a check for tithing last week, my two eldest children enthusiastically asked if they could pay their tithing, too! Their question reminded me that we had recently had a family home evening lesson on tithing, and they were quick to implement its teachings, even without a reminder!

These children are providing examples of some of the childlike qualities we need to develop or rediscover in ourselves in order to enter into the kingdom of heaven. They are bright spirits who are untarnished by the world—teachable and full of faith. It is no wonder the Savior has a special love and appreciation for little children.


I love my children. While they sometimes do things that make me shake my head and wonder why they do such a thing, they also sometimes do things that make me shake my head in a different sort of way and wonder how I can do or be like they are.