Saturday, February 19, 2011

He Teaches Us to Put Off the Natural Man

This entry is part of my general conference application series.

He Teaches Us to Put Off the Natural Man, by Juan A. Uceda
Of the Seventy


The bulk of Elder Uceda's talk centers on an experience when a family lost harmony in a scripture reading session because two members (the father and a daughter) made poor choices. Tempers were lost, and feelings were hurt.

Although our family scripture times are usually great, I can see something similar happening in the future if I don't learn the lesson that Elder Uceda wants to teach. The condensed message seems to be two parts: a quote, and two scripture passages.

The quote:

Our homes have to be places where the Holy Spirit may dwell. “Only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness.”


The scriptures:

  1. King Benjamin's reminder that men can put off the natural man and become Saints through the Atonement (see Mosiah 3:19); and

  2. Part of the revelation Joseph Smith received in response to his plea for help in Liberty Jail, where the Lord outlines that the priesthood should be used only in righteousness (see D&C 121:37, 41-42)

As much as I don't want to make mistakes as a parent, I seem to continue to do so (often the same mistakes over and again). Just as the father in the story that was relayed was prompted, I often feel the same counsel: "Go and say, 'I'm sorry.'"

I'm grateful for the words of Christ and the promptings of the Holy Ghost that teach me to put off the natural man. I want to continue to improve so I have fewer and fewer times when I need to apologize; in other words, I want to be submissive, meek, humble, patient, and full of love. I'm happy that Christ teaches me how to do this and to have peace in my home!

0 thoughts