Monday, April 12, 2010

Gentle Persusion

After every conference I lament that my memory isn't as good as I wish it were. Why do I always have trouble remembering the things that I want to remember, but can readily recall all manner of minutia and trivia?

I love the everyday gospel applications that I hear in conference. Similar to wanting to remember, I want to elevate myself to who I want to be. Unfortunately, gentle persuasion through stories and gospel truths never seems enough for me to change my life as much as I wish I could. Instead, I'm left to work, sweat, and strive for a long time until I can approach my goals, and then another conference comes and goes and I start all over again!

I wonder if hypnosis would work. . .

There are some things for which subtle suggestion can readily work. For example, carefully look at the following image and you'll see what I mean.


Isn't it strange that simply reading those words causes a large enough mental shift to change the very state of being?

If only I could read the words: "Be Christlike" and have the sort of change mentioned in Mosiah, where the people "had no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually" (5:2).

Unfortunately (or fortunately?), conversion is a process. I'm reminded of the poem I've heard President Monson quote enough that it's stuck (link):

Stick to your task 'til it sticks to you;
Beginners are many, but enders are few.
Honor, power, place and praise
Will always come to the one who stays.

Stick to your task 'til it sticks to you;
Bend at it, sweat at it, smile at it, too;
For out of the bend and the sweat and the smile
Will come life’s victories after a while.

Now it's time to get back to sticking to my tasks, working towards life's victories.

By the way, are you still breathing and blinking manually? (I bet you are now if you weren't!)

0 thoughts